A September 11th story

I am so far away from the US but I'm often reminded that "there's no place like home." First if all there is a lot of poverty in Brazil and it's right in your face. We can see one favela (slum) from our hotel window in the midst of a nice part of town. (The picture is a favela from Rio so you get the idea). Also, being one of only a handful of Americans here on the tour, it can be difficult to hear the regular jabs against Americans that I hear from non-Americans and some Americans who choose not to see the positive in our country. Americans are often characterized as materialistic, loud, obnoxious and narcissistic towards the rest of the world. It's strange to me how often I've seen the non-Americans on this tour lose their cool over something.

But no matter what anyone says, I really believe that there is so much good we do in the world that often goes unrecognized. And when I received this email, I was reminded of that and felt a little closer to home. The following is an email from my friend Jeff. I met him my freshman year at the University of Hartford, when I was attending the Hartt School of Music. He is a great musician and a really cool guy and you can read in this email he sent about his way of observing September 11th. Check out his site...http://jeffersonthomas.com/


"There is simply no better way to observe this anniversary than what I did this weekend...first of all, I got on several PLANES and ended up in Charlotte, Columbia, and Charleston, running into our military folk and tipping my hat to them all along the way. Then, on one of the dates, I got to play for them at the naval base in Charleston on Friday night. I got to play songs like "Grand Central Station" and other little bits of New York, and refused to accept their money for CDs ("dude, save it to buy your own kevlar"), and it is my humbling privilege to now be corresponding with several "sub-dudes". I spent much of Saturday hanging out with little Brody, the 18-month-old son of a dude who happened to call home while I was there and apologized to his wife for being grumpy on the phone earlier. "Sorry, darlin', they lobbed a few mortars at us while I called last time." A picture of him sitting on his helmet in Baghdad is the screen saver on their computer, and he sat there smiling at me all night as I tried to catch a wink on their couch. I kept waking up and looking at him and feeling extremely awkward. Slept very little. I'm back in New York now, feeling incredibly insignificant, and wondering why this still isn't a national holiday." - Jefferson Thomas

Comments

Anonymous said…
Susan,

Sounds like you are having an amazing time, both good and bad. I must have been a bit strang remember Sept. 11 from such a far away place with people with different prespective on the "American" way of life. A few days ago a neighbor from the apartments next door asked me to help him call AT&t and Nextel on some phone issues. I've never really spoken to him or his wife (she doesn't speak English), but always smile and say hi. It felt really great to help him out. Afterwards he thanked me. At first I thought he called me an old lady something something. But when I said 'excuse me' he stumbled trying to find the right words and said, I really like you. So, long and short, I think what I like most about our country is most of us are willing to help are fellow man. Of course, I haven't traveled aboard much so it might be try of other places also, but I think on the whole American's have a big heart towards others.

How is working with your clients long distance? Have you found more things to do to keep you occupied? You should be moving on soon right? Anyother couple of weeks?

Say hello to the man!!

Teresa
Anonymous said…
Hello Susan,
What a cool idea to start a travel blog. i look forward to checking in on your adventures in Brazil. If i was there, I would check out Choro and Bossa Nova, fabulous music styles from Brazil. Post slice of life pics too! Vaya con dios !

Eric Hansen, your Incarnation, Glendale pal
Anonymous said…
Hi Susan,
I loved reading your blog and seeing the photos but could not get the videos to work! It sounded like you might be a little bit homesick. I am glad you have made some new friends there and hope the time in Rio will be fun. I loved Rio and found it much more welcoming than Sao Paulo. Take care. Elaine
Anonymous said…
Dear Susan,
This entry fills me with memories of life away from home. So much coming in and so lilttle going out. What an opportunity to go to a new place inside; Don't let the ignorance of those around you bring you down. We are lucky to have all the opportunities we have and as Americans this is a challenging time. It too shall pass. Change is constant.
I look forward to watching where you go next and how it plays out. Best and warmest, Eve

Popular posts from this blog

New Years Resolutions!

"Let's go the band!"

My latest distraction...the poochie!